A friend of mine, Andy, tweeted this link yesterday> 75% of Americans will be overweight by 2020!
I was amazed when I saw this stat. I wanted to think we were turning the corner on this epidemic in our country, but it continues to get worse. I followed up by reading some comments on this article and other articles I have read since turning the corner on my struggle with obesity recently. What I have seen is a lot of people giving a lot of reasons for the obesity epidemic. Here are just a few:
- Availability of fast food and fatty food: I would eat as much in one supersized meal as I needed in a day on many occasions.
- Total lack of muscular movement required in daily life: I could not and would not move enough 3 years ago. I would not even challenge one flight of steps.
- Eating as recreation: I had almost ALL of my meetings and family functions centered around eating. What's TheFatGuy to do? EAT, RIGHT?!
- Addictive Eating: I know I have addictive eating habits!
- Food selection: I would eat what was readily available rather than make the rights foods readily available for ME!
- And I have read many more reasons!
TheFatGuy has his own take on the problem. I see it in a little different life since I was the poster boy for obesity in 2009! Here are a few of TheFatGuy's observations:
- Obesity: Obesity is a national epidemic with 10s of millions of personal stories.
- Our attitudes: I know that I had no discipline when it came to my own fitness and eating habits. I know I did not take responsibility for ME! I know many people that need to take the first step and own the problem.
- Walk the Walk: I did not lead by example when I worked with children trying to get them to Eat Smart and Move More! I have had children say, "Mr. Mike, you are Fat!" I have gone to too many meetings and events where the quest speaker or presenter is obese. Not just overweight, but obese. No matter the situation, it comes across as 'do as I say and not as I do'.
- Honest and tough discussions: Because of our PC society and the fact that so many people talking about the fixes to obesity have 'the problem', we don't have the hard and brutally honest discussions about the topic that are needed to make significant change. So many have died from obesity and we worry about hurting someone's feelings. I call myself TheFatGuy because it helps ME on my journey and, quite frankly, I was TheFatGuy at 360 pounds!
- Kids!: I am so, so, so worried about our kids! I see children twice the weight they should be at 6 to 7 years of age. We, as adults, need to stop it, NOW!
All of this is 'food' for thought. There are many studies out that show various results for us and our country. Let's start today to turn the tide on obesity! Let us have the tough discussions, let us make the personal changes, let us make the personal commitment, and please help the children in your life!
Links to organizations I support that fight obesity:
Note to ME and YOU: Make a commitment to yourself to take care of you. Then help at least one other person!