Let's start with where I did not start! I did not start by blaming others, the world, or life's circumstances. I did not start by doing it for someone else. I did not start with an endpoint in mind. I did not start with all of the answers. I did not use any 'magic buttons'! You know, that guaranteed diet, the ab machine that will make you sexy in 5 minutes a day, take this pill or drink this shake and do what you have always done and the pounds will fall off! Really, do what I have always done. And just how does that work? Is it some kind of 'divine' pill or shake? Cause I am pretty sure God is the only One that can pull that one off!
Now, let's look at some of the things that were part of where I started.
Several bits of advice about where TheFatGuy started:
- Make sure you consult your doctor about diet and exercise. With your weight, health, and meds this is very important. I talked with and see my doctor regularly.
- You have to start this journey for YOU! Do it for YOU!
- Make sure you know it is a journey and not a point A to point B destination of diet and exercise. It is a lifestyle change and from where I stand, well worth it.
- Without knowing you I would suggest you start with Moving More. Walk more and be active. That is what I did the first 6 weeks of my journey> walked the dogs, walked the park, took the steps, and so on). Maybe Start with half hour periods and move up to an hour per day.
- LOG> log what you eat in a book, software application, or on a spreadsheet. Track your calorie intake so you know where you are now and where you are going. You can check your BMR (amount of calories you burn at rest) on line at http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. This will give you a gauge of what you want your intake to be each day. Keep your calorie intake below your BMR (try 300-500 calories below at first and adjust from there). When I started my journey I tried to keep my calories below 1500/day with a healthy dose of protein and low/good carbs
- Start your day with HAW> Honesty, Attitude, Water. Be honest with yourself about what you are doing well and not so well. Choose a good Attitude each morning. I make good choices when I have a good attitude, and I promise I make bad choices when I have a bad attitude. I drink 1/2 ounce of Water per pound of weight per day.
- Eat at least 5 times a day, no more than 4 hours apart. Eat breakfast.
- I started with higher lean protein (chicken, veggie burger, protein shake/powder/bars) and low good carbs (spinach, berries, greens, etc.)
- I gave up sugar for a year! I may give it up for life. You need to be honest with yourself here!! If you have demons you cannot manage or fight then give them up, don't fight them!
- One person I know that has a good website for nutrition and eating is Dr. ANN
- You need to apply everything you learn with a certain amount of thought on your part. What fits your life? What will and won't work for you? What are the things that will keep you on track? What are the things that will knock you for a loop?
- START YOUR JOURNEY TODAY AND FIND YOUR WAY "OUT OF THE FIRE"! ALSO CHECK OUT WHEN "SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT"!
TheFatGuy wishes you the best on your journey!
Note to ME and YOU: Always start with YOU!